Sunday 28 June 2009

Croquet: day two



That very nice chap, Stuart Lawrence, manager and host, gave me a late start. I gave him the nickname of 'Master Yoda', as he had been giving the New Paltz crowd some coaching. I used my time wisely, and walked four blocks extra on the way in to get not one but two Large cappuccinos with extra shots of espresso.

It didn't do me a lot of good, well either that or Russell Brown had had more, as he set off like a train and left me in his wake for some time. The were mutterings, and even Master Yoda, commented on my lagging behind. Hoop four was my nemesis, could I get through it or in front of it - more chance of finding a New York Policewoman with 'Take me for a pint of Guinness' pinned to her uniform. Then when I finally conquered hoop 4, bugger me if it didn't bite me on the way back and give me a good kicking at 3-back. Eventually as time approached - oh yes the ignominy of it, went to time - haha - 'am I bothered', to coin a phrase - we were level. Sudden death, the golden hoop. I saw a tiny crack in Russell's armour and finally took the innings and 4-back to take the game by that wonderful score of +1t.

I happily lost a rather long and drawn out semi-final against Chris Patmore. You name the cardinal sins of croquet, one of us surely committed them - took off into hoops, cross wired ourselves, clanged hoops - good D Class spectator stuff - oh and Stuart told us we went over time too - haha.

I said my farewells and left as Gay Pride the following day was going to have my full attentions.

1 comment:

  1. It was great having you! Come back soon. -- Stuart

    ReplyDelete