Monday 15 June 2009

Lazy Sundays


Ok had a lazy day today, think the traveling finally caught up with me. Had my first 'waffle' for breakfast, prepared by Gillian 'Betty Crocker' Curry. (She'll kill me when she read this haha). Amanda took the picture, to record for the family album. Nice with 'philly' and blueberries, but not for the weight conscious like me - haha.
A little while after that we walked across the street to 34th Street. No miracles or Santa, but a street festival to wander through for around ten blocks. Multicultural street vendors, selling freshly grilled corn cobs, freshly made lemonade, fake designer sunglasses, I love NY T-shirts, clam chowder, artisan crafts and 'bubble tea'. What's bubble tea I ask Gillian? Dunno. I approach the Korean woman and ask - its a fruit flavoured (you choose) tea, with tapioca added - so you get a clear plastic cup of fruit coloured and flavoured liquid, with what look like fishes eyeballs in the bottom. I'll stick to coffee pet, I think to myself. As we approach the end of the coned off area Alba and Gillian depart to go 'shopping', I excuse myself that experience, on the grounds I hate it in England, best to leave it to the professionals, as I know I will whinge for England after twenty minutes.
Just as we are to part, a woman canvassing for the Democratic party approaches. "Are you registered to vote in the borough?" No sorry I'm from England. "Oh Ive been there, we did a trip, I loved it." I enquire where she visited. "Oh all of it, the Cotswolds, London, The Lake District, Scotland." Wow how long did that take, I enquire? "Two weeks, we were worn out". I bite my tongue as I imagine the itinerary, so as not to laugh. "How long you in New York for?" Three weeks. "For one city!" she states - Yeah well want to see it, feel it touch it, not just pass though it. She obviously is not a fan of 'The Bush'. I tell her anything would be better. Tempted to tell her the story of the Hartlepool monkey, but hey, they just got rid of the chimp, so 'mum's' the word.
As I return slowly via the other side of the festival, I'm approached again for the Democrats. "Are you registered to vote?" Yes I am, just not on this continent. "Oh you're English, oh I love your accent - why couldn't she be an NYPD sergeant the double of Nigella Lawson? - she's pleasant and inquisitive and we chat for a while, before I wind my way back to base.

By this time the sun shining and I feel kind of guilty at needing to sleep, but it's a strong urge, and can't be ignored. So siesta is the none-activity of choice and need, and three hours sleep is very welcome.

On waking I make chicken stock in preparation for Alba´s veggie won ton dumplings, and as I switch off the cooker´abracadabra she arrives 'hot foot', quite literally having walked "miles cos the bloody buses are all to pot cos of that festival" - she proclaims with all the decorum and poise of a fish wife. Aye you can take the girl out of North Shields but you can't take North Shields out of the girl............. even if she hasn't lived there for thirty years.
The apartment is quietly relaxed with the advent of cocktails, 'Mojitos', not 'Betty's' best, it has to be said, but the terrace is a little oasis in this skyscraper society, and when they have been quaffed, we all join in with dinner preparations as you wind your ways to bed, given the five hour time difference.

Plans for tomorrow? Well lets just see what tomorrow brings.



No comments:

Post a Comment