Tuesday 16 June 2009

Iconic Buildings




I went for a bit of a wander on my way back to East 34th St. Took in Grand Central Station, the Empire State and found a beautiful set of brass plaques on Park Avenue, celebrating the cities architecture.

Trying to convey the quantity of people, the way they interact only with their own little path, as if they have homing devices implanted. It's almost like watching an army of ants. The photo of the man blowing his nose had him standing still for around three seconds, everyone else was though in the blink of the eye.

The Empire State is so imposing, identifiable from miles away in silhouette from, and from the sidewalk at the base of it, overwhelming. I'm sure looking from the top New York is the city of ants. It was impossible for me to get it all into one shot even with a very wide angle lens. I'm not going to the top, with a price tag of around $42, and queues in excess of an hour, to go to the highest vantage point, I figure I will get just as good a view from the top of the Rockerfeller Centre, in less time and dollars.

No comments:

Post a Comment